Massage therapy is the scientific manipulation of the soft tissues of the body for the purpose of normalizing those tissues and consists of a group of manual techniques that include applying fixed or movable pressure, holding, and/or causing movement of or to the body. Our massage therapists are trained in various techniques that affect the muscular, skeletal, circulatory, lymphatic, nervous, and other systems of the body. The basic philosophy of massage therapy embraces the concept of vis Medicatrix naturae, which is aiding the ability of the body to heal itself, and is aimed at achieving or increasing health and well-being.
Although there were periods when massage fell out of favour, in the 1960s it made a comeback in a different way as a tool for relaxation, communication, and alternative healing. Today, massage is one of the most popular healing modalities. It is used by conventional, as well as alternative medical communities and is now covered by many health insurance plans.
Massage therapy can play a helpful role in the recovery of various musculo-skeletal injuries, as well as being invaluable as a means of managing the physical side effects of day to day stress. As such, our massage therapy gift certificates can be a generous gift to a friend or loved one.
Our clinic has been deeply involved in massage therapy education since 2013 as the hosting facility for the South Edmonton School of Massage Therapy.
Types Of Massage We Offer
Relaxation Massage (also known as Swedish Massage)
- Effleurage: Gliding strokes with the palms, thumbs and/or fingertips.
- Petrissage: Kneading movements with the hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Friction: Circular pressures with the palms of hands, thumbs and/or fingers
- Vibration: Oscillatory movements that shake or vibrate the body
- Percussion: Brisk hacking or tapping
- Passive and active movements: Bending and stretching
- Elements of Relaxation Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Trigger Point Release
- Sports Injury Massage
- Lymphatic Drainage
Benefits of therapeutic massage
- Reduce stress and anxiety, improve your feeling of general wellbeing
- Accelerate healing from many common injuries
- Reduce pain
- Increase range of motion
- Relax and loosen muscle tissues, resolve trigger points/knots
- Release toxins from muscles
- Get blood and oxygen circulating properly
- Improve lymphatic flow and reduce swelling
- Reduce the effects of arthritis
Specific Conditions We Treat
- Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries such as Whiplash and Lower Back Sprains
- Stress and anxiety disorders
- Frozen Shoulder
- Tennis Elbow
- Sports Injuries
- Other recent or longstanding musculoskeletal injuries or pain in various parts of the body such as the neck, back, shoulder/arm, hip, and knee/lower leg
- Chronic conditions such as arthritis and lymphedema
- Radiating pain into the arms or legs as with Sciatica or Neck Radiculopathy
Why Choose Us For Your Therapeutic Massage?
- Our clinic is your best choice for many reasons:
- Clients have trusted us for their massage therapy services for over 20 years.
- Our clinic is in a safe, professional, comfortable, relaxing environment.
- Our massage therapists work alongside physiotherapists.
- Our massage therapists all have at least 2200 hours of training.
- Our clinic is newly renovated.
- We are conveniently located in the heart of Millwoods.
- We have ample free parking.
How often will I need treatments?
Some people require only a few sessions to treat a specific problem, while others become regular users of massage therapy as both proactive and preventative healthcare. Your massage therapist can discuss with you a specific treatment plan including frequency and duration of treatments.
Do I need a doctor referral to see a registered massage therapist?
You do not need to be referred by a physician in order to make an appointment for therapeutic massage.
Will you direct bill my insurance company for the massage treatments?
Usually if you have a dental plan or if you are coming for treatments of injuries sustained in a car crash you’ll most likely also have coverage for massage therapy for most or all of the treatment cost. We are linked for direct billing with many extended health care providers...and the list is growing daily!