Tawa Physical Therapy is pleased to provide Women's Pelvic Health Rehabilitation to our South Edmonton Location.
Do you have general pain, heaviness, or pressure in your pelvic region or lower back?
Do you have pain with intimacy or with your periods?
Do you have issues with going to the bathroom or occasional leaking, sometimes brought on by coughing or sneezing?
Do you have pelvic organ prolapse?
If you answered ‘Yes’ to any of these questions, pelvic health physiotherapy may be the answer for you. Pelvic health physiotherapy has become a very effective approach in the management of problems and pain in the pelvic region for women of all ages.
Common causes of pelvic floor dysfunction include widening of the pelvic floor opening, drooping of the pelvic floor contents below the base of the pelvic floor, weakness or tightness of the pelvic floor and associated muscles, or scarring/adhesions in the pelvic region. Below is a list of specific diagnoses that we treat with pelvic health physiotherapy:
- Urinary incontinence and bladder control issues
- Urinary urgency, frequency, or hesitancy
- Constipation or fecal incontinence
- Leg, hip, pelvic or back pain during or after pregnancy
- Pre and post-operative rehabilitation for abdominal or pelvic surgeries
- Diastasis recti or other abdominal wall dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapses (Prolapse of bladder, uterus, or rectum)
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Interstitial cystitis (Painful bladder)
- Dyspareunia and Vaginismus (Painful intercourse)
- Dysmenorrhea (Painful Periods)
- Vulvodynia or vestibulodynia (Chronic pain in the Vulva)
- Coccydynia (Tailbone pain)
- Pudendal neuralgia (pain, discomfort, or numbness in your pelvis or genitals)
- Prostatectomy-related pain and dysfunction
Whether you’ve been struggling with these issues for weeks or years, pelvic health physiotherapy can help you get back to normal.
Our goal through Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy at Tawa Physical Therapy & Sports Injury Clinic is to provide a safe and supportive environment for all stages of life to take control of their pelvic health by assessing and treating not only the pelvic floor muscles, but also using the biopsychosocial approach and trauma-informed lens to improve quality of life and feel empowered with knowledge of your own body and its capabilities associated with structures surrounding pelvic floor, including the muscles and ligaments of the hips, abdomen, and lower back.
We realize that pelvic health issues can cause stress, embarrassment, and isolation. These sorts of issues are very sensitive and personal. Our clinic respects your privacy, and we have a very strong patient confidentiality policy.
What to expect:
Before you are physically assessed, you will be asked to complete a detailed questionnaire to help us gain a better understanding of your specific problems and needs.
All assessments and treatments are conducted in a private treatment room. Our pelvic health physiotherapist is not only a skilled clinician, she is also an empathetic listener who is compassionate and non-judgemental.
The physical examination will likely involve looking at the range of motion, strength, and alignment of your lower back, abdomen, hips and pelvis. When performing external perineal and internal pelvic floor examinations, you will be draped with a sheet for privacy. You will be asked for your consent to allow us to perform any assessments or treatments. Of course, if for some reason you feel uncomfortable or would like to stop the examination, you may do so at any time.
Once the therapist has completed the examination, she will share her assessment findings with you and discuss her recommended treatment plan to address contributing factors. Treatment may include some of the following:
- Exercises specific to condition (such as stretching, strengthening, breathing)
- Lifestyle modification
- Mindfulness practice
- Self-treatment techniques
- Manual Therapy
Pelvic health issues are often overlooked or not seen as important. But at our clinic, we know that pelvic health issues can affect your physical and emotional well-being tremendously. Let us help you achieve the quality of life that you deserve.