"Skype Style" Tele-Rehabilitation Services
The current global health crisis is changing our world. Although telemedicine has been around for several years, the past month has brought this technology to the forefront. Recently, tele-rehabilitation was considered the only safe method to receive physiotherapy services, and in the long-run we foresee that it will continue to be useful in many circumstances even once the COVID-19 pandemic is no longer a potential barrier.
Our online "Skype Style" Virtual one-on-one services were created for ANY individual who can not make it to a clinic appointment.
As dedicated health care professionals, we thrive on helping our patients relieve their pain and return to normal activities. The COVID-19 pandemic requires that we all work together to save lives by social distancing. Using the latest in video-conferencing technology, we eliminate this barrier and come to you via a screen in your home for the same great quality care you've come to expect from TAWA Physical Therapy.
Who does Tele-Rehabilitation work for?
Our "Skype Style" Virtual Services (aka. Tele-Rehabilitation) were created for ANYONE who cannot make it to the clinic for his or her appointment.
There will always remain circumstances where an in-person visit is required but research is continuing to show us that virtual visits can address and treat the same needs, and to the same level of care, for MANY conditions that in-person sessions can.
What services can I receive via Tele-Rehabilitation?
You can receive many of our services via Tele-Rehabilitation:
How it Works
All you need is an internet connection, access to a desktop, laptop, smart phone or tablet, and to follow these instructions:
- Book your initial assessment by booking HERE or by phoning us at 780-450-0720.
- Complete your intake forms. They will be emailed to you as soon as you book your appointment. Please take the time to complete these prior to your appointment
- You can join your Tele-Rehabilitation appointment using either a cell phone/ iPad or a desktop computer.
- Please arrive at your appointment a few minutes early
- When your therapist is ready they will welcome you from the waiting room with live video connection in your private and secure one:one appointment.
To ensure you have a great appointment please ensure the following:
- You have your camera set up in a location that allows you to move around and still be seen
- You have clear audio - you may want to consider using earbuds for clearer sound (not mandatory)
- Have a private space free of distraction so you can focus on what you need
Commonly asked questions
Yes! All insurance companies that bill through the Telus Health Portal accept Tele-Rehabilitation services. In addition, Blue Cross, Green Shield, SSQ, and Empire Life also cover Tele-Rehabilitation. If your provider is of a different company we recommend you calling them directly to confirm if they will reimburse you for Tele-Rehabilitation sessions.
Yes! We will direct bill all insurance companies that are serviced through the Telus Health Portal. As various plans differ even within specific insurance companies, please call your insurance provider directly to check on your specific plan details.
Our therapists are all licensed to practice Tele-Rehabilitation physiotherapy in Alberta and have had many years of experience. Some practitioners have additional training in specializations like Vestibular Rehabilitation & Concussion. Our receptionist staff are available from 9am to 5pm to answer your questions, and will help schedule you with the therapist that fits your needs or language preference.
You can expect to receive the same exceptional care throughout Tele-Rehabilitation services as you would in our regular clinic. However, although many situations are served well by Tele-Rehabilitation, not everything will be appropriate. If your therapist feels that they cannot help you, they will direct you to the other service providers who could help you the most.
Common treatments through Tele-Rehabilitation include: education, exercise retraining, active exercise, review & progression of home exercise programs, movement retraining, self-mobilization techniques, education on proper ergonomics and proper body mechanics for functional activities, education on self-pain management techniques
There are many reasons why we should be your first choice:
- High-quality care by experienced, well-trained therapists
- High patient satisfaction and outcomes as evidenced by our in-house statistics and Google Reviews
- State-of-the-art, PIPEDA/PIPA privacy-compliant telemedicine software
- Meetings secured with 256bit end-to-end encryption
- High quality professional instructional and exercise videos that can be emailed to you during or after your visit
One other important factor for you could be that we are a clinic that is physically located in the Millwoods area within Edmonton. If this is a convenient location for you, then know that we will still be there for you in person once the COVID-19 precautions are lifted.